Quick How To: Decorating old plastic drawers
So we have been trying to decorate our new house but do it on a shoe string. So we were in the need of some toy storage but our old Walmart plastic drawers were a bit of an "eyesore".
Total project took about 4 hours for a total of 6 drawers.
I started by selecting the color cordinating fabrics. I only had to buy a half yard of 3 different colors. I choose cotton for ease of the decopoge.
I ironed under a 1/2" crease on the top and one end. Then measured the other side to the drawer. I acutally just made a tiny snip where I was gonna cut on the other end and eyeballed the straight cut allowing for 1/2" edge to crease with the iron. For the bottom edge I did the same snip measure and ironed over a straight edge. I then just cut a 1/2" edge from the ironed crease. I choose to do the ironed under hems so that I didn't have pesky threads or chance of tears from the kids later. I brushed on drawer front a healthy amount of Decopoge and layed down my fabric, taking to care to smooth the bubbles and tucking in my creased hems. I used the ribbon and some extra fabric for the top edge of the drawer where the handle pull was situated.
I ironed under a 1/2" crease on the top and one end. Then measured the other side to the drawer. I acutally just made a tiny snip where I was gonna cut on the other end and eyeballed the straight cut allowing for 1/2" edge to crease with the iron. For the bottom edge I did the same snip measure and ironed over a straight edge. I then just cut a 1/2" edge from the ironed crease. I choose to do the ironed under hems so that I didn't have pesky threads or chance of tears from the kids later. I brushed on drawer front a healthy amount of Decopoge and layed down my fabric, taking to care to smooth the bubbles and tucking in my creased hems. I used the ribbon and some extra fabric for the top edge of the drawer where the handle pull was situated.
Once this was dry, I brushed the top with more Decopoge and let dry. Repeated the top coat 4 times. This gives a nice sturdy protection to the fabric to withstand kids, it almost feels like vinyl when you are done. It also seems to bring out the color of the fabric. On a few drawers I cut out the designs and layed them on top of the first top coat. Then I coated the remaining 3 top coats. The drawers were about 2-3 years old and with an extra $9 they are good as new and customized to match the kids rooms - PRICELESS. 
1 comment:
vary cute, I love what you can do with decopauge!
Post a Comment